The first picture of the new Mavic 2 was just released, and with it we gain a little bit of insight into the design of the drone. Here is what we think:
- This is more than just a camera design. This is a new camera system. The camera and gimbal look to be removable. There doesn’t look like an easy way to add lenses or filters, but it does look like this system might come off and attach to a handheld gimbal. Perhaps we can swap cameras for a different field of view. There might even be a Mavic-Osmo package.
2. This one is more powerful. The motors are bigger. While this isn’t a surprise we believed this was coming. We expect better performance from the Mavic 2.
3. The remote looks to be a similar design, holding your smartphone under the remote. We are hoping for a remote upgrade option that includes an integral remote.
These new motors look bigger and more powerful.
4. The Mavic 2 will have obstacle avoidance on 5 sides. There is definitely obstacle avoidance cameras on both the front and the side. We know that there are sensors on the back and the bottom of the drone. We also do not see any sensors on the top of the drone.
5. There are multiple versions of the Mavic 2. We have heard rumors of this and the silver band helps to confirm that. Typically DJI has used the silver band for the advanced versions of their drones and reserved gold banding for the Pro lineup. Will the Pro version launch at the same time? Will it have a better camera? We will find out soon.
While the initial launch was scheduled for July 18 it has been delayed. We will be there at launch. Stay tuned for more info.
Every month we update what we believe are the best drones on the market. Check out Best Drones Now. We have also created the one-of-a-kind Half Chrome Drone Cipher™. You answer a few questions and we’ll pair you with the best drone for you.
|Best Drones Now|
Do you want to search by price? Click on your menu above or we can break it down for you. Check out drones under $50, from $50-100, from $100-200, from $200-500 or over $500. Maybe you like a good Top Ten list, we’ve got you covered.
|Drones by Price|
If you want to learn more about taking great pictures or flying FPV then check out our comprehensive guides on those topics. Also take a look at our articles on how to choose the right drone for great aerial photos or for getting started flying race drones. Learn more about drones and how to get the most out of them in our Drone Academy. In the Academy we also detail some of the advanced testing we do, including our recent addition, drone thrust testing.
I Want Videos…
|Half Chrome YouTube Channel|
This website contains affiliate links, which means we receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures and disclaimers page.